Short film topics
Topics that are used in short films range from personal tales to the recounting of historical events. They can be exploring life in one’s own community to the search for life in other corners of the universe. Literally, everything and anything in short films can be created by people everywhere, on any subject, and shared electronically all over the world.
Short films can use a range of … multimedia sonnets from people in which photographs discover the talkies, and the stories told assemble in the ether as pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, a gaggle of invisible histories which, when viewed together, tell the bigger story of our time, the story that defines who we are.
Select a topic for your short film
- Begin thinking – what is the purpose of your story? Are you trying to inform, convince, provoke, question?
- Decide on the purpose and point of view of your digital story
- Write a script that will be used as narration in your digital story AND provides the purpose and point of view you have chosen.
Developing your Short film
- Pre-writing: brainstorming, collecting images, researching, outlining, and storyboarding
- Drafting: creating a script and developing form
- Revising: modifying images and organization
- Editing: timing, images, and narration
- Publishing: the final product
What is Storyboading?
- Storyboards are visual representations that aid in the creation process of digital storytelling.
- Storyboards layout images in sequential order to create the flow of the production.
- They can also include technical aspects and explanations of design.
- Create a folder where you can store the materials you find inside the MOVIE folder
- Search for image resources, including: pictures, drawings, photographs, maps, charts, etc. and save these resources into your folder.
- Locate audio resources such as music, speeches, interviews, and sound effects. – Save these resources in your folder.
- Find informational content, which might come from web sites, word processed documents, or PowerPoint slides. – Save these resources in your folder.
STEPS TO TAKE
Create a new Event with your name – then create a new Movie with the movie name
- Select the images, audio, content and text and import into iMovie
- Import the images & audio into iMovie
- Record the narration of your script either with Vlad, on iPhone or at the Mac
- Edit, edit and edit – have someone oversee what you have done
- Gather feedback about how the story could be improved and expanded
- Congratulate yourself for a job well done!